KMN EyeCare’s outpatient surgical facilities are the best choice for most of our patients. We combine the most advanced medical technology with highly experienced eye surgeons and staff to provide you with a seamless, convenient surgical experience.
We suggest that you bring family member(s) or a close friend(s) to accompany you to our eye hospital or clinic on the day of your surgery. Your accompanying member will be invited to wait in our lounge with refreshments throughout your procedure. We also advise that this individual be responsible for bringing you home after your surgery and, in some cases, staying with you for 24 hours.
To ensure that your visit goes as smoothly as possible, the KMN EyeCare staff will contact you before the surgery date to update you on anything that you may need to know regarding the surgery, such as:
- Continue taking whatever prescribed medications you are taking as instructed by your ophthalmologist.
- In general, surgeries using topical or local anesthesia, such as cataract surgery or LASIK, do not require fasting. The anesthesiologist will inform you of whether or not you need to fast. If you are required to fast, then do not consume food or liquids (including candies, lozenges, bubble gum, cigarettes, or water) for 6 hours prior to the procedure. The exact length of fasting depends on your age. The evening prior to your surgery, you are recommended to eat only light foods and to not consume alcohol.
On the day of the surgery, wash your hair and do not use any oils or wax. Ensure your face is clean and do not use any makeup. Furthermore, bring the following:
- Any medication you are currently taking
- A letter from your referring physician
- Any visual aids or glasses
- Your insurance card, credit card, debit card, or cash to complete your payment
Your belongings will be kept inside a locker, however we suggest leaving your valuable items, such as your wallet and jewelry, with your accompanying family member or friend.
We will also provide you with a surgical gown – you do not need to bring any special clothes. We suggest you arrive wearing comfortable shoes and clothing.
After the surgical procedure is complete, you will spend between 15 minutes and a few hours (depending on the procedure) resting in our recovery room before you are confirmed ready to go home.
If you only receive local anesthetics, then your recovery period will be comparatively shorter. We will provide you with a small refreshment before you leave.
Our staff will provide you with written instructions on how to proceed before you leave. You will also receive a phone call from our staff to monitor your condition. If your vision becomes blurred or you experience pain in your eyes at any time during your recovery period, you must immediately go to the nearest KMN EyeCare clinic or hospital, or call our clinic-specific emergency phone number that has been given to you prior to the surgery in order to be checked by one of our doctors. Generally, you will be asked to return to the clinic the day after your surgery for a post-surgery check-up. The following visit depends on the surgery performed and the condition of your eye. Your ophthalmologist will inform you of when to return for your next visit.